First off, no matter what you do in life these 7 points I know can help you in all that you do.
1. Value Every Relationship! No matter what people's titles are - try and value them as people. We all have things that we do well and we all have things that we struggle with too. Everyone you come into contact with, you can make a difference in the way their day is going along with the way maybe that they see themselves. They just might go and make a positive difference with someone else.
2. Think about your team's needs before your own. This certainly does not have to be sports team. Heck, your family is one of the first teams you need to think about. I'm 53 years old - I've been married for almost 29 years with 2 kids in their 20's now and I still need to focus on this one. They are the most important team I'm a part of. This also includes my work teams.. my students.. coworkers, etc. Great reminder for all of us.
3. Help your team grow! One of the many jobs of a leader is to help those around you become better. Encouragement is a biggie. Showing people around you how they can become better, how they can (and should) believe in themselves more too is a great idea. Keep setting them up for success and for them to learn how to improve along the way.
4. Share the credit. Remember, leaders don't usually accomplish many things on their own. There is always someone else that helps. Usually it's more than one person too. Any awards, recognition, pats on the back, etc., share them!
5. Should the blame! Goes right along with #4 - take on the responsibility of helping take the heat off others that you lead. Don't blame others. Any critics can address you as you will be the one to say "I will fix this." Of course there may have to be some conversations with some people, but as we all know those talks really can't happen while that person is under a bus that you threw them under. ;-)
6. Never say "That's not my job." This seems to be a line that is mentioned far too often in today's world. I've seen in so many times in so many different places. It's one thing that I try not to say, as it's a very popular mindset. There needs to be more of finding solutions. Find the person who's job it is and get them there to help whoever needs it. Focus on solutions is always a great way to be.
7. Be a person of character! One of the best things that we ALL CAN DO. You know what else?? The world needs us to go after this one for sure. If you look around at all the problems - private sector, public sector, etc., all of them can almost be connected to this fact that we need more people to a person of character. Telling the truth, your word is your bond, hard work, showing up on time, not cheating, not being selfish, etc. Best part of this one is we can help so many people just be being the example.